Friday, May 8, 2009

Email Marketing Idea: Return Confirmation

I recently checked out a new (to me) site: 6pm.com and purchased some shoes. After deciding to return them, I looked at the slip that came in the box. For most retailers, you fill out the slip, put it in the box and go to the post office. Many even include the pre-printed return label. 6pm.com, however, told me to go to the web site, log-in to my account, and generate a returns confirmation email, print it out, and put it in the box with my returned items.

On the one hand, this is sort of a pain for the consumer -- an extra step to return unwanted items. On the other hand, it's a brilliant place for cross-sell opportunity. Suggest similar items, or same item in a different sizes or color or fabric or whatever works for your business in other cross-sell channels. And it's an opportunity to convert a return into a sale.

Direct marketers and their Email Service Providers (ESPs) are all working on their social media strategies. But good old-fashioned email still has a vital role.

No comments:

Post a Comment